Download Audacity For Windows
System requirement for Windows 7 / Windows 8 (64-bit) with RAM Recommended 4 GB / 2 GHz. Windows Vista (32 or 64-bit)/ Windows 7 / Windows 8 (32-bit) with RAM 4 GB / 2 GHz. For Windows 2000/ XP (32- or 64-bit) requires RAM 512 MB/1 GHz.
Download Audacity for MacOS
System Requirements for MacOS, Audacity runs best with at least 2 GB RAM and a 2 GHz processor. For lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend a minimum of 4 GB RAM and 4 GHz processor.
Download Audacity for GNU/LINUX
Audacity will run great with at least 1GB RAM and a 2 GHz processor. Because Audacity was basically written when computers were less powerful, you may be capable to run it on much less powerful hardware too.
Download the free Audacity audio editor for Windows, Mac or Linux:
Audacity is free of charge. No registration or hardware purchase required.
- Although there are plenty of sellers of Audacity software on Ebay and Amazon, none of these sellers are affiliated to Audacity, and none have participated in any way to the Audacity project. Audacity is free software.
- To build Audacity yourself, download the source code and go for it.
- You may copy, share, modify and/or resell Audacity, under the terms of the GNU GPL.
Except for the regular bug fixes, the Audacity version 2.4.2 provides the following leading new features and functionalities.
- MP3 exports and imports without padding: Audacity now maintains LAME’s gapless playback info, allowing MP3s to be imported and exported without additional padding. And able to read MP3 files exported by Audacity without the filling.
- Reset Configuration: A new command added to the Tools menu: Tools > Reset Configuration. It resets your Audacity preferences, Configuration, export settings, and toolbars, to default settings.
Now fixed 41 bugs since 2.4.1. The exact number of bugs fixed depends on whence you count, but anyway, it’s a good count of fixes.
Note: For more details information visit 2.4.2 official release note
- Catalina: With 2.4.1, it has now hooked up with Apple’s ‘notarization system’. Audacity on Mac is notarized and runs on Catalina.
- Time Toolbar: It has now split the playing/recording time off from the selection toolbar, and it can now be pulled to make it larger.
- Multi-views: It added a new optional mode for viewing audio. In this new model, you can see both the spectrogram and waveform at the same time.
Audacity 2.4.1 fixes a severe bug in the abruptly available Audacity 2.4.0.
With 2.4.0, we blundered. In 2.4.0, you’d get loss of and corruption of audio when you had two projects open at the same time. But now it Fixed in this version.
In this version, a lot of bugs from 2.3.3 had to get fixed with the focus work.
- Catalina: Primarily, Audacity has now tied up with Apple’s ‘notarization system’. Now Audacity on Mac is notarized and runs on Catalina.
- Time Toolbar: The latest toolbar can be ‘unlocked’ from the footer of the screen, and made larger for more cool viewing.
- Multi-views: You can get into this multi-view mode by clicking on the down-pointing triangle alongside the panel’s track name on the left of the wave.
In 2.3.3 release, the bug causes loss/corruption of audio. The bug occurs when you have two projects open at the same time and paste audio from one project into another. It has fixed in 2.4.0.